Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Nightingale

The Nightingale
By Kristin Hannah
St. Martin's Press, 2015. 440 pgs. Historical Fiction

Viann and Isabelle are sisters living in France. They love each other but have always struggled to have a close relationship. Viann lives with her young daughter and husband in the French countryside and enjoys a quiet life. Isabelle is the younger, more outspoken sister that has already been kicked out of several boarding schools. Their lives change drastically when WWII breaks out and Viann's husband is sent off to war. Germany soon occupies France and each sister must decide what they are willing to risk to survive the occupation.

This is a beautiful story of love and loss. Kristin Hannah is an expert at examining relationships, especially those in families. The characters became so real to me and my heart broke over and over as they experienced each hardship. My heart also cheered at each victory, however small. I liked that there was closure at the end of the book that made it a very satisfying read. I listened to the audio version of this book and I loved the readers accent and her pronunciation of all the French names and cities. This is a book that I have thought about long after I finished.

AL

No comments: