Wednesday, January 2, 2019

A Madness So Discreet

A Madness So Discreet
by Mindy Mcginnis
Harper Collins, 2015, 384pgs. Young Adult

Grace Mae has been incarcerated in an insane asylum. She has been committed to hide the shame and unwedded pregnancy brings to a family and is treated in the most deplorable manner. Her life suddenly changes when she is offered the opportunity to use her talents to help a doctor with his practice. What will become of this young woman so close to the edge of sanity herself and will she be able to make a difference in the world.

Can I just say there are facets of this story lights a rage inside my soul for the history of mental health fortunately there are many forces at work making sure such things happen less often but asylum history and lobotomies make me angry. That soap box aside, I really enjoyed this book. I found it to be an engaging read as I wondered what would happen to Grace and if she would find the strength to pick up the pieces of her life and carry on. I feel like this would be a fascinating read for anyone who is interested in a fictional representation of some of the history in psychology.

MH

No comments: