Wednesday, May 23, 2018

One Hundred Birds Taught Me to Fly

One Hundred Birds Taught Me to Fly
By Ashley Mae Hoiland
Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship, 2016. 213 pgs. Nonfiction

Through original writing and illustrations, Hoiland explores the art of finding God. She uses personal musings, thoughts, and experiences to address her own journey on topics such as Grace, Redemption, Laughter, Zion, Tradition, and more. Hoiland makes a case that creativity, adventure, and laughter are just as important as faith, hope, and charity when striving to develop a deeper, more intimate relationship with God. She questions attitudes, concepts, and principles that are ingrained in LDS culture, and whether they benefit or hinder growth and understanding about the divine.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It made me examine my own beliefs and thoughts on a variety of topics, while encouraging action. The author is a real person who is very relatable as a mother, woman, and member of the LDS faith. I felt that she understands many of my challenges and struggles, and made me want to deepen my own relationship with the divine and broaden my understanding. It was a great balance between stretching and growth without becoming preachy or condemning.

TT

No comments: