Monday, February 12, 2018

The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue

The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue
by Mackenzi Lee
Katherine Tegen Books, 2017,528 pgs. Young Adult

Henry Montague “Monty” is going touring with his best friend Percy on one last hurrah before he is forced to stay home and manage his family’s estate. The only flaws in this tour is his father is threatening him to be on his best behavior or else he will disinherit Monty and give the estate to his baby brother, and he has to take his fifteen year old sister Felicity along and drop her off at finishing school along the way. After a tedious beginning the company find themselves running for their lives when some highway men try and kill them. This road trip is one of the most compelling teen novels set in Victorian Europe.

I loved this book. First thing is first I would not say this book is for everyone. I would recommend that this book be read by older teens. This book covers a lot of social issues that I feel are really important and topics that are currently gaining ground as being things to take into consideration. First off Monty is bisexual his best friend is homosexual and as you can imagine in Victorian Europe how well that went over. After talking about what people may struggle with I really want to talk about what I loved. Now my favorite character was his little sister Felicity she is amazing! I loved that they talk about consent when one person says no all making out stops. Period. I also loved the Conclusion. That is all I will say on that one and I am so excited to read Felicity’s novel next year when it comes out.

 MH

1 comment:

AG said...

I adored this book. I feel like it handled the issues of sexuality really well. This book is an important one when it comes to representation. It discusses both the joys and deep anguish experienced of both the gay and straight characters. It is charming and funny, suspenseful and silly. Each character is well developed and has an interesting character arc. The sexuality of the characters is not a gimmick, nor is it romanticized. Everyone deals with the gender roles and the expectations of the time period, which are very much like the roles and expectations of the current time. This is a lovely book.