Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives

Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives
By Gretchen Rubin
Crown Publishers, 2015. 298 pgs. Nonfiction

Gretchen Rubin, the author of The Happiness Project, examines the importance of habits in our lives and what we can do to change or create new habits. She goes beyond just talking about habits though, she explains that everyone has different personality types when it comes to habits and once we understand ourselves we can better understand why we do or don't do something.

I very rarely finish nonfiction books because I usually get bored about half way through and go back to fiction. That was not the case with this book. I found myself looking forward to listening to it and  I wanted to share what I was learning with others. This book came at the perfect time in my life when I was ready to make some changes. I found the authors writing style to be very engaging. I enjoyed the examples she shared from her own life and the lives of her family, friends and readers. Her approach made sense and I have already implemented some of the strategies she suggests. I would highly recommend this book to anyone that is ready to make some positive changes in their life.
 
AL

1 comment:

Ann-Marie said...

I first read (listened actually) this book in 2015. I enjoyed giving it another read and remembered several of the stories Rubin shares. Even though I was familiar with her ideas, I found this book again insightful.
This was a great book to read at the beginning of the year when I've been thinking about my habits and how I can improve my life.