Tuesday, March 27, 2012

London Under

London Under: The Secret History Beneath the Streets
By Peter Ackroyd
Doubleday, 2011. 228 pgs. Nonfiction.

From sewers to sacred springs, ancient civilizations to modern tube stations, this book guides you through the hidden world beneath the streets of London. Ever since the original Londinium was built it has slowly sunk into the clay (the oldest parts now lying some twenty-six feet beneath the surface) and modern London is built upon those remains. What lies beneath the surface? A whole world of history, secrets, monsters and mole men.

Having studied abroad in London I found this book fascinating. I almost wish I’d read something like this before I went, but I don’t think I could have fully appreciated it. The author drops street names and landmarks like you already know where they are which could be distracting if you don’t. This is a small book and by no means definitive, but a good starting point if you have any interest in what’s hiding under London.

ACS

No comments: