Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Stranger Things Have Happened

Stranger Things Have Happened
by Jeff Strand
Sourcebook Fire, 2017, 289 pages, Young Adult Fiction

Marcus is a fifteen-year-old aspiring magician. When his great-grandfather, Zachary the Stupendous, gets Marcus roped into a bet, Marcus must plan and execute an incredible magic trick to protect his great-grandfather's honor. As if the situation isn't bad enough, he also deals with bullies, an evil magician, and a new precarious friendship. Who knew high school could be so stressful?

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a good laugh. The situations Marcus found himself in were a combination of terrifying and hilarious. Marcus's inner dialogue resonated with the sassy woman inside my head and the fact that the characters were all extremely different made the book a delight to read. I listened to this book on CD and the narrator was fabulous. If you are planning on a family road trip in the near future, then you should consider bringing this book along.

HS

1 comment:

ACS said...

Humor, wit, friendship, overcoming grief, confronting bulling, and trying to do hard things are just some of the reasons I really enjoyed this novel. When a book makes me laugh out loud repeatedly, even when I’m in public, I want to recommend it to others. This one did just that. While Marcus is 15-years-old and we have this in the Young Adult collection, this book would easily appeal to young audiences as well. It’s clean and fairly light hearted. I could easily recommend this to anyone.