Wednesday, October 31, 2018

The Chaos of Standing Still

The Chaos of Standing Still
By Jessica Brody
Simon Pulse, 2017. 406 pgs. Young Adult

On New Year’s Eve a massive blizzard shuts down Denver International Airport, leaving 18-year-old Ryn trapped overnight on the anniversary of her best friend’s, Lottie’s, death. Ryn still has Lottie’s last text message, unopened and waiting for a year, sitting on her phone. She can’t bring herself to open it, to read Lottie’s last words to her. When she literally bumps into Xander and they accidentally swap phones, she’s thrust into an all-night adventure complete with mysterious strangers, a massive party, a conspiracy, and coming to terms with the past.

 This book was a roller coaster of emotions, and I loved it. Ryn has a lot going on in her head that I can relate to. She’s struggling in a variety of ways but and has coping mechanisms that, while perhaps not healthy, are just the way she deals with things. Those who like contemporary, realistic, young adult fiction will want to pick this book up. I hope if I ever get trapped in an airport I find an adventure like Ryn’s.

ACS

2 comments:

Hannah said...

I listened to this book on the Libby app. The emotionally driven story was the perfect thing to listen to while washing the dishes. I related to Ryn’s desire to keep her best friend’s memory alive and her stubbornness of not letting go. Her introverted tendencies mixed with her desire for human connection was a war that kept me interested. Since this book made the thought of being stranded in an airport appealing, I would recommend it.

Melinda said...

Overall, I really enjoyed THE CHAOS OF STANDING STILL. I loved the way the author wrote Ryn's flashbacks in a such a naturally-flowing way that felt like it was my own mind wandering and remembering along with Ryn. I loved the way the author demonstrated Ryn's grief and anxiety in a way that felt authentic and relatable. This book is one of my favorite portrayals of grief/depression, especially for teen fiction. That said, I didn't love other aspects of the author's writing style - but - what I do love about this book more than makes up for that.