Thursday, September 27, 2018

The Tao of Pooh

The Tao of Pooh
By Benjamin Hoff
Dutton Books, 1982. 158 pgs. Nonfiction

In this introduction to the belief system of Taoism, Hoff explains how A.A. Milne’s character of Winnie-the-Pooh, by being effortlessly calm, still, and reflective, is actually a great Taoist master. By comparing Taoist principals with scenes from A.A. Milne’s stories, it makes the belief system clear and easy to understand for anyone.

I checked this audiobook out from Overdrive on a whim, and I’m so glad I did. I knew very little about Taoism, but I feel like the juxtaposition of Taoist principals and Winnie-the-Pooh stories really worked well to explain the belief system. Simon Vance narrated the audiobook, and it was a pleasure to listen to as he voiced all the different A.A. Milne characters. I could easily recommend this for anyone interested in learning about Eastern belief systems.

ACS

No comments: