Friday, May 5, 2017

Stir: My Broken Brain and the Meals That Brought Me Back

Stir: My Broken Brain and the Meals That Brought Me Back
By Jessica Fechtor
Plume, 2016. 274 pgs. Nonfiction

Jessica was 28, newly married, and a graduate student when she fell off a hotel treadmill while attending a conference. After going to the hospital the doctors determined that an aneurysm burst in her brain. She had surgery to put a clip in her brain to hopefully fix the aneurysm. All looked well, considering the circumstances, that is except for the fact that she lost vision in her left eye. After a few other complications and many, many months of recovery, Jessica finds her way back to a new sense of normal.

This book reminded me a lot of Molly Birnbaum's Season to Taste: How I Lost My Sense of Smell and Found My Way. I liked how the author talked about food and how certain recipes had influenced her life before and after this traumatic incident. She includes many of the recipes she talks about. I'm always interested in a memoir about food and this one did not disappoint!

AMM

No comments: