Saturday, February 25, 2017

Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead

Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
By Brené Brown
Gotham Books, 2012. 287 pgs. Nonfiction

Dr. Brené Brown is a researcher. She studies people and what makes some succeed while others fail. In Daring Greatly she explains how most people see vulnerability as a weakness, but it is the ability to be vulnerable and imperfect that leads to being able to live wholeheartedly and be fully engaged in meaningful connections. 

Being vulnerable is hard, Brené even admits that although she has become an expert on the subject, she still struggles with it in her personal life. I appreciated that fact that she was honest. It made me more willing to listen to what she had to say. This book has the possibility of changing the way you live and all of the relationships you have. If you don't have time to read the book, I recommend watching her TED talk on the subject. It is amazing! I listened to the audiobook which was fantastic but I plan on going back and reading the actual book so that I can really absorb the concepts and take notes. I highly recommend this book!

AL

1 comment:

Liz said...

My dad gave this to me as a suggestion to mature my interpersonal relationships... and it worked! I never realized how refusal to be vulnerable was hurting me in the long run. I gained a whole new perspective on courage, trust and self-confidence and how you gain it. In owning your own fears, shortcomings and problems combined with a bold approach to taking risks, you can become better! It is a self-help book (obviously) but it reads in a introspective, factual, and encouraging way, so you don't feel embarrassed like 'I need help so I'll read this self-help book'. I would put this book in a category with Leadership and Self-deception by the Arbinger Institute- a must read, should re-read, will change your life kind of book!
-LP