Monday, June 8, 2009

Hondo

Hondo
By Louis L’Amour
Bantam Books, 1997. 179 pgs. Fiction

Hondo Lane, a scout for the army, is on an errand when he comes under attack by the Apaches and escapes finding refuge on a lonely homestead manned by Angie and her young son Johnny. With the army breaking the peace treaty with the Apaches, the outlining settlers are not safe and Hondo tries to persuade Angie to move into town but she will not leave her home. Hondo has no option but leave her behind and continue on his mission.

I have always enjoyed listening to L’Amour’s books but I was hesitant to listen to Hondo being a John Wayne fan. I was afraid that the performance wouldn’t match my film experience but David Strathairn does an excellent job narrating the book. He didn’t try to be Wayne, he brought the characters alive his own way and I might actually have enjoyed it a little bit more than the film (please don’t tell Wayne).

KK

No comments: