Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Peacegiver: How Christ Offers to Heal Hearts and Homes

THE PEACEGIVER: HOW CHRIST OFFERS TO HEAL HEARTS AND HOMES: James L. Ferrell: Shadow Mountain Publishing: Nonfiction: 203 pgs.

The Peacegiver is written as an extended parable to explain the peace that comes through the atonement of Christ. Rick believes in Christ and loves his four children but his marriage is in serious danger from petty arguments and wounded pride. When things look their darkest, Rick's deceased grandfather starts visiting him in dreams, to try to help him find the peace and forgiveness promised by Christ. Through powerful interpretations of several Old Testament stories the author shows how the atonement is designed to make is as easy as possible for us to forgive others and find our own peace and salvation.

I do not usually enjoy reading nonfiction books but this read very much like a novel. I discovered new aspects of the atonement that I had never considered before. At some points I found myself wishing the author did not repeat himself so much but for the most part I enjoyed the book. This book has many good discussion points for a book club.

AL

No comments: