Monday, June 4, 2007

I Heard That Song Before

I HEARD THAT SONG BEFORE: Mary Higgins Clark: Simon & Schuster: Mystery: 318 pages

At the center of her novel is Kay Lansing, who has grown up in Englewood, New Jersey, daughter of the landscaper to the wealthy and powerful Carrington family. Their mansion -- a historic seventeenth-century manor house transported stone by stone from Wales in 1848 -- has a hidden chapel. One day, accompanying her father to work, six-year-old Kay succumbs to curiosity and sneaks into the chapel. There, she overhears a quarrel between a man and a woman who is demanding money from him. When she says that this will be the last time, his caustic response is: "I heard that song before."
That same evening, the Carringtons hold a formal dinner dance after which Peter Carrington, a student at Princeton, drives home Susan Althorp, the eighteen-year-old daughter of neighbors. While her parents hear her come in, she is not in her room the next morning and is never seen or heard from again.

As much as I have enjoyed Mary Higgins Clark in the past, this wasn’t my favorite from her. It seemed like it took so long for the story to begin. I almost figured out “who did it” by the end, but most of the characters I just didn’t really get that interested in. Not her best, but still a good read.

AMM

No comments: