Friday, December 2, 2022

Bittersweet

By Susan Cain
Crown, 2022, 310 pgs. Nonfiction

The author of the best-selling Quiet discusses how a bittersweet state of mind can actually be a kind of silent energy that aids us in overcoming our personal and societal suffering.

I like how Susan Cain's books help us look at common, sometimes negatively perceived emotions in a different, more positive way. This book explores the tendency many of us have to be in a state of longing, poignancy and sorrow. Why we sometimes gravitate to songs in minor keys or a touching television commercial. Once we can realize that all humans know - or will know - loss and suffering we can turn toward each other and we can turn our own pain into something good. This book also helped me understand the feelings of deep sorrow and overwhelming joy that I can feel at the same time. I've noticed this a lot as my children have gotten older. I will be in the middle of an experience with my kids, like reading a bedtime story, and feel so happy in the moment but also feel sad because I know my kids are getting older and I might not have many more chances to snuggle and read to them. 

If you like Bittersweet, you might also like: 

By Daniel H. Pink
Riverhead Books, 2022. 240 pgs. Nonfiction

Drawing on research in social psychology, neuroscience and biology, as well as true stories and practical takeaways, this book lays out a dynamic new way of thinking about regret to help us live richer, more engaged lives.

By Brene Brown
Hazelden, 2010. 137 pgs. Nonfiction

Brown explores the psychology of releasing our definitions of an 'imperfect' life and embracing living authentically. In a world where insults, criticisms, and fears are spread too generously alongside messages of unrealistic beauty, attainment, and expectation, she provides ten 'guideposts' that can help anyone establish a practice for a life of honest beauty-- a perfectly imperfect life.

AL

No comments: