Wednesday, August 5, 2020

The Opposite of Always

By Justin A. Reynolds
Katherine Tegen Books, 2019. 457 pages. Young Adult

One fateful evening Jack meets Kate at a party. He falls hard for her, but her unexpected death a few months later is devastating. Jack is then transported back in time to their first meeting. He doesn’t know what’s going on or how he got there, but is determined to make the most of his time with her, and somehow stop her death. Except… she dies again, and Jack is sent back again. As Jack tries to change the course of events, he learns just how the consequences of his actions impact those around him.

This is a pretty standard YA romance with an interesting time travel element. The story repeatedly covers the same few months of time, but does so in new and unique ways so that it doesn’t feel boring. The characters are witty and their banter is enjoyable to follow. I’ve often wondered what, if anything, I would do differently if I could go back in time and relive a portion of my life. I found myself thinking about that a lot as I read this book. Overall an enjoyable read that I could recommend to those looking for contemporary YA romances.

ACS

No comments: