Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Pemmican Wars (A Girl Called Echo #1)

by Katherena Vermette
Highwater Press, 2017. 47 pgs. Young Adult Comics

Echo is a 13-year-old girl living in modern day Canada, and is adjusting to a new home, new school, and a separation from her mother. One day during history class, she slips back in time to a bison hunt on the Saskatchewan prairie. In the following weeks, Echo travels back several times and learns about her heritage as a Môetis Indian and the Pemmican Wars

This is a beautiful story about how learning about your history, culture, and heritage can provide understanding and comfort in times of need. I learned a lot about Canadian history that I previously did not know, and could recognize similarities between the experiences of the native people in Canada and the United States. This was a quick read, but the illustrations are beautiful and I experienced my own reflection about my heritage and how much of it influences me today.

TT


No comments: