Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY
By Mary Ann Shaffer
The Dial Press, 2008. 288 pages. Fiction.

This story is set in London at the end of World War II. A single woman journalist who wrote humorous columns during the war starts a correspondence with a farmer on the isle of Guernsey. Slowly she learns his story and that of many of his neighbors of what they suffered at the hands of the Germans. Beautiful friendships are formed. Don't let the strange title put you off, this book is on my top ten list for 2008. It would be a wonderful choice for a book club.

DEF

3 comments:

Kelly said...

This book is on my list of favorites for 2008 as well. I love how the story is told in letters. You feel you are part of the story reading a letter from a friend. I highly recommend this book.

Anonymous said...

Definitely my favorite adult fiction of 2008.

Ann-Marie said...

I wasn't sure if this book would live up to all of the hype I'd heard about it...but it did!
I thought this was a delightful read and I now want to go visit Guernsey myself!